Monday, April 16, 2007

And Back to Librivox...

So as a special treat to myself for writing 18 thesis pages in two days, finishing up the first draft of my MA thesis, I went back to Librivox this weekend. I figured I'd find some audiobooks to listen to while I clean up the worst of the thesis-books mess that's been on my living room floor for the past four months or so.

I was pleasantly surprised by how many free public-domain audiobooks have been added to the stock since I last visited, along with a search function for the catalog and the ability to browse by genre. Considering it's all volunteer work, things are really coming along over there.

I picked some old favorites to transfer to my iPod: The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy and Jerome K. Jerome's funny Victorian travelogue Three Men in a Boat (to Say Nothing of the Dog). Check them out if you get a chance.

I look forward to listening to them as I rescue my apartment from its thesis-focused neglect and as I take long walks in the newly springlike weather.

Ah, the easy liberation from the indoors the iPod brings us--a chance to catch up on the classics and be active at the same time. With such ease of use, I may even get around to downloading and making it all the way through Moby Dick (which I noticed is also now up at Librivox) one of these days--perhaps during one of my long summer road trips.

There's something delightful about using new technology to spread classic stories, many of which have been around since before the phonograph and the radio.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Deb, Hi! A couple of things. You should join Facebook. It would be good for your "project;" also, we have started a Semester in England group on there. Fun!
Another matter, I will be in Saskatoon for the Learneds.. Would staying with you be a possibility. It would be just me (not the family) and maybe a grad school friend.... Well, either way would like to see you when there. All the best,
Jodie

Deborah Leiter Nyabuti said...

Hi Jodie, Yeah, I just joined Facebook. Kara had sent me an invite, but I hadn't gotten around to responding yet. With your reminder, I finally gave in to the Facebook phenomenon. :)
As for Congress, sure you can stay with me. I'll catch up with you on Facebook and we can work out the details.
Excited to see you so soon,
deb