Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Free Audiobooks, Here I Come

Librivox.org: So I just found this website, and I'm already planning to be addicted. As a graduate student in English, I spend a lot of time staring at pages, so it's nice to have a break from that occasionally. And my auditory learning ability has increased tremendously over the last year (God bless a graduate school education).

So I'm very excited to see this site. Not only does it mean I can listen to a very nice recording of one of my thesis texts, Walden, on my iPod for free, it also means that someone out there came up with a marvelous idea: having people volunteer to read aloud public-domain literature and upload it so that anyone with Internet access can listen. Among other things, there's a nice collection of children's literature, some of which are hard to find in print or at the library anymore (like some of the Oz tales beyond The Wonderful Wizard of Oz).

So yeah, check it out and spread it around. Volunteer if you can. It sounds like fun.

No comments: